[SOGo] ANN: SOGo ZEG with Native Outlook Compatibility - TP3

  • From: Ludovic Marcotte < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [SOGo] ANN: SOGo ZEG with Native Outlook Compatibility - TP3
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:51:15 -0500

Inverse is proud to announce the third downloadable version of SOGo ZEG with native Microsoft Outlook compatibility.

The virtual appliance consists of the latest development version of SOGo, SOPE and OpenChange, properly installed and configured. Note that the native Microsoft Outlook compatibility is still *considered as experimental*. The fundamentals have been developed and the progress towards an end-user usable version will be fast from now on.

Nonetheless, we release this "Technology Preview" ZEG edition to show how promising this is.

== Getting it ==

To download ZEG "Technology Preview", simply point your browser to http://www.sogo.nu/english/downloads/zeg.html

Look for "Virtual Appliance - Native Outlook Compatibility".

For configuration instructions, look at the following FAQ: http://www.sogo.nu/english/nc/support/faq/article/how-to-configure-outlook-to-work-with-openchange.html

== Changes ==

Here is a list of changes performed by the Inverse team since TP2 was released :

* It's now possible to handle event attendees in Outlook - which triggers all the proper scheduling code of SOGo
* It's now possible to modify notes - they will no longer be corrupted upon modification
* Deleting support for all kind of "messages" (contacts, emails, events, notes and tasks) is now supported
* More properties are being saved during creation/modification of "messages"

== Upcoming improvements ==

The follow improvements will occur in the next following days, likely resulting in a TP4 :

* Initial recurrence support for events and tasks
* Internal cache fixes (which would prevent having to restart OpenChange/Outlook for data coherency)
* Integrate the mapistore_v2 work which will allow us to support all SOGo user folders and all SOGo users easily (making freebusy lookup for other users more easy)
* SeekRow/QueryPosition issue which can cause slowdowns such as the ones we experience with the "Sent Items" mail folder

Some bug fixes or improvements need to be added in OpenChange to make the solution even more usable and we are working with them to :

* Add notifications support, so refresh of views will occur after creation/modifications of "messages"
* Reminder issues which can cause Outlook to disconnect momentarily

== Installation / Update ==

The TP3 virtual image contains a good amount of uncommitted code. It's available for testing but you should not try to update it. You can also not update from TP2 to TP3.

== Helping Out ==

There are many ways you can help us. You can:

* spread the good word about this technology preview!
* follow our development in the mailing list and update regularly the components mentioned above
* contact us if you want to sponsor specific features with regard to Outlook / SOGo compatibility

Thanks,

--
Ludovic Marcotte

:: +1.514.755.3630 :: www.inverse.ca