Re: [SOGo] Debian Squeeze as client

  • From: Paul van der Vlis < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Debian Squeeze as client
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:12:08 +0100

Op 23-02-11 19:54, Jim Carter schreef:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>> I expect it's possible to change the Sogo plugins to accept version
>> 3.0.11. But what is the reason to depend on Thunderbird version 3.1?
>> Maybe these bugs are fixed in Debian.
>
> My experience is with openSUSE so I can't help with Debian-specific
> issues, but the Lightning plugin will only install in Thunderbird 3.1.x,
> not 3.0.x.

Hmm, you are right, the sogo-integrator-extention does install without
any problem, so it's only a problem with Lightning, and I can use
Lightning 1.0-b1 from Debian (called "iceowl-extention"), or the 1.0-b2
xpi from Mozilla.

> I imagine that the SOGo plugins are based on or closely related to
> Lightning and rely on infrastructure added in the newer version.
>
> On my net I obtained Thunderbird 3.1.6 from the SuSE Build Service so we
> could use Lightning (with a CalDAV server which we hope to replace with
> SOGo).

Does this build service also create Debian packages?

> Likely a recent version of Icedove can be found in Debian's
> "unstable" collection.

There is only a 3.1.7 in "experimental". When an package is in
experimental this means there is something wrong.

But when it would be in unstable or testing it would not help really,
because I cannot ask from my users to run unstable. I could make a
backport, but then I had to backport it on every update for security.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.