Re: [SOGo] Debian Squeeze as client

  • From: Paul van der Vlis < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Debian Squeeze as client
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:45:39 +0100

Op 23-02-11 20:23, Mark Adams schreef:

> On 23 Feb 2011, at 19:12, Paul van der Vlis
> < >
> wrote:

>>> My experience is with openSUSE so I can't help with
>>> Debian-specific issues, but the Lightning plugin will only
>>> install in Thunderbird 3.1.x, not 3.0.x.
>>
>> Hmm, you are right, the sogo-integrator-extention does install
>> without any problem, so it's only a problem with Lightning, and I
>> can use Lightning 1.0-b1 from Debian (called "iceowl-extention"),
>> or the 1.0-b2 xpi from Mozilla.
>>
>>> I imagine that the SOGo plugins are based on or closely related
>>> to Lightning and rely on infrastructure added in the newer
>>> version.
>>>
>>> On my net I obtained Thunderbird 3.1.6 from the SuSE Build
>>> Service so we could use Lightning (with a CalDAV server which we
>>> hope to replace with SOGo).
>>
>> Does this build service also create Debian packages?
>>
>>> Likely a recent version of Icedove can be found in Debian's
>>> "unstable" collection.
>>
>> There is only a 3.1.7 in "experimental". When an package is in
>> experimental this means there is something wrong.
>
> This isn't necessarily true, it just means it hasn't been tested
> thoroughly by the debian team I believe.

from: http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.en.html
---------
Experimental is used for packages which are still being developed, and
with a high risk of breaking your system. It's used by developers who'd
like to study and test bleeding edge software. Users shouldn't be using
packages from here, because they can be dangerous and harmful even for
the most experienced people.
---------

> If you want recent Mozilla
> software it has to come from Experimental. I run icedove and
> iceweasel with sogo plugins.

Icedove from experimental?
Do you see problems?

> Easy enough to install also, just put the experimental apt sources
> in then install with apt-get -t experimental... That package will
> stay at that level and all others should stay squeeze.

I know how to install from experimental, but it can break your system.
It would be nice to know why it is in experimental.

But as I said, it's not a good idea for normal users, because they need
security support.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.