Re: [SOGo] Debian Squeeze as client

  • From: Mark Adams < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Cc: " " < >
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Debian Squeeze as client
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:12:17 +0000

On 23 Feb 2011, at 19:45, Paul van der Vlis
< >
wrote:

> Op 23-02-11 20:23, Mark Adams schreef:
>>
>> On 23 Feb 2011, at 19:12, Paul van der Vlis
>> < >
>> wrote:

>>> Hmm, you are right, the sogo-integrator-extention does install
>>> without any problem, so it's only a problem with Lightning, and I
>>> can use Lightning 1.0-b1 from Debian (called "iceowl-extention"),
>>> or the 1.0-b2 xpi from Mozilla.

>>> Does this build service also create Debian packages?

>>> There is only a 3.1.7 in "experimental". When an package is in
>>> experimental this means there is something wrong.
>>
>> This isn't necessarily true, it just means it hasn't been tested
>> thoroughly by the debian team I believe.
>
> from: http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.en.html
> ---------
> Experimental is used for packages which are still being developed, and
> with a high risk of breaking your system. It's used by developers who'd
> like to study and test bleeding edge software. Users shouldn't be using
> packages from here, because they can be dangerous and harmful even for
> the most experienced people.
> ---------
>
>> If you want recent Mozilla
>> software it has to come from Experimental. I run icedove and
>> iceweasel with sogo plugins.
>
> Icedove from experimental?
> Do you see problems?

Yes and it works well, remember this is the current STABLE release from
Mozilla.

>> Easy enough to install also, just put the experimental apt sources
>> in then install with apt-get -t experimental... That package will
>> stay at that level and all others should stay squeeze.
>
> I know how to install from experimental, but it can break your system.
> It would be nice to know why it is in experimental.
>
> But as I said, it's not a good idea for normal users, because they need
> security support.

If I remember correctly, icedove doesn't have any other dependancies. It's a
single package that, for me atleast, works fine in squeeze. I've been using
icedove and iceweasel packages dim experimental for over a year.. The only
bugs have been the ones noted by Mozilla...

I take your point about end users though... I'm not sure why they take so
long to become stable in debian.