Re: [SOGo] ANN: automx - automated mail account configuration

  • From: Patrick Ben Koetter < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] ANN: automx - automated mail account configuration
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 09:02:05 +0100

* Jason Wohlford
< >:

> On Feb 29, 2012, at 1:43 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
>
> > SOGo Users,
> >
> > I am pleased to announce automx, a tool that makes setting up a mail
> > account
> > easy. All your users need to provide is real name, mail address and
> > password.
> > Their mail client and automx will safely handle the rest.
> >
> > automx runs on your server and handles mail account profile requests from
> > your
> > mail clients. It unifies Microsofts and Mozillas mail account provisioning
> > standards in one powerful Open Source tool. Choose from many backends,
> > including LDAP and SQL, and let automx create standard and individualized
> > profiles for multiple domains on the fly!
> >
> > automx is Open Source software released under GPL3.
> >
> > More on http://automx.org
> >
> > p@rick
>
> Very interesting. I've got Thunderbird working very well for autoconfig.
> I've had a time of it getting Outlook and Mac OS X Mail.app working at all.
> Will review. Thank you.

Any client using Microsofts autodiscover schema will require a trusted https
session. That in turn means you need to get out and get a SSL cert first.
There are cheap ssls (<- hint) out there.

Mail.app and iPhones do not support network based autoconfiguration at the
moment. Cyrus Daboo (as Apple member) created an RFC specifying DNS based
autoconfiguration through SRV records, but neither do Macs currently imlement
that RFC nor would it take that feature as far as Microsoft took it, when they
came up with autodiscover. autodiscover can, for example, specify a TTL for an
account profile. The client will revisit the server then and check for changed
account settings; perfect in my eyes as migration hook.

> Btw, nice site.

Thanks. The design was taken from bootstrap
<http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/>. Typos are mine. ;)

p@rick

--
state of mind ()
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15 Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München Telefax +49 89 3090 4666

Amtsgericht München Partnerschaftsregister PR 563