Re: [SOGo] ANN: automx - automated mail account configuration

  • From: Patrick Ben Koetter < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] ANN: automx - automated mail account configuration
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:30:14 +0100

* Jakob Lenfers
< >:
> Am 29.02.2012 20:43, schrieb Patrick Ben Koetter:
>
> > I am pleased to announce automx, a tool that makes setting up a mail
> > account
> > easy. All your users need to provide is real name, mail address and
> > password.
> > Their mail client and automx will safely handle the rest.
>
> Cool! I'm still not 100% sure what the tool does: It would be enough to
> know your name, mail and password to setup an account? And that in a
> couple of different mail clients, right?

Exactly. As simple as that.

> So if I already setup mozillas autoconfig
> (https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration) and
> only use Thunderbird, it would be the same result, wouldn't it?

Yes, with the two significant differences:

- automx is ONE TOOL that provides service for clients (TB, KMail, Kontact and
- rumor - some Android mobiles) following MOZILLAs standard and clients
(Outlook 2003+, MS Mobiles) following MICROSOFTs way of client account
profile provisioning.
- automx can serve dynamic profiles for many domains i.e. not only one static
file, but e.g. lookup user specific settings in a database or LDAP server
and return a profile especially built for that one user/group.
You can, for example, have two MDAs (Exchange/SOGo) and tell group A to use
Exchange and group B to use SOGo.
You can also script it. Take a look at the section_filter feature. The dark
side of provisioning it leads you to ... ;)

p@rick

--
state of mind ()
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15 Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München Telefax +49 89 3090 4666

Amtsgericht München Partnerschaftsregister PR 563