Re: [SOGo] ANN: automx - automated mail account configuration

  • From: Patrick Ben Koetter < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] ANN: automx - automated mail account configuration
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 14:07:41 +0100

* Fabián Rodríguez
< >:
> On 2012-03-01 03:08, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> [...]> automx unifies two proprietary standards from Microsoft and
> Mozilla.
>
> I am curious why you are calling both autoconfiguration ways
> "proprietary". Can you clarify that ?
>
> I don't see anything proprietary about Thunderbird's autoconfig:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Autoconfiguration

You are correct. I used the term the wrong way. I did not mean proprietary as
wikipedia defines it

"In telecommunications, a proprietary protocol is a communications
protocol owned by a single organization or individual.[1]"
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_protocol

or as most others (probably) understand it.

What I meant to say was "they don't use a common, standardized
mechanism/protocol" to do it, but each do their own thing.

> And I can't find references to Microsoft putting any
> restrictions/licensing on their autoconfiguration.
>
> This is important, specially in enterprise settings where such details
> blow up in an admin's face *after* prototyping/testing/implementation.

Both standards have been layed open and are well documented.

> Making this particularly clear on the site (automx's) would also help
> clear any confusion.
>
> Thanks for any further information.

I hope I've clarified it.

p@rick

--
state of mind ()
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15 Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München Telefax +49 89 3090 4666

Amtsgericht München Partnerschaftsregister PR 563