Re: [SOGo] Funambol 11

  • From: Fabian Rodriguez < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Funambol 11
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:11:14 -0500

On 12-03-01 08:49 AM, Mirko Stoffers wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 03:22 PM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
>> The .APK are still available from the project page:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/funambol/files/android/v10/
>
> Hi Fabian,
>
> Thanks for the link. Is that different to what they offer as "FunV10"
> on the market?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mirko

Actually, this link should be better if you want to make sure you're
using the same source code that's published:
http://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdcategory=Office&fdid=com.funambol.androidsync&fdpage=1

When you install via the Android market you become dependent on the
publisher and have no control over what they publish (or stop
publishing), as this thread demonstrates.

In terms of functionality, I can't say if the application available on
the market has more or less. However, the .apk from F-Droid is a clean
build from 100% free, open source code. From the About page:
"Wherever possible, applications in the repository are built from
source, and that source code is checked for potential security or
privacy issues. This checking is far from exhaustive though, and there
are no guarantees."

F-Droid acts as an alternative marketplace for apps providing management
(install/update/remove), and where all apps are built from source. FSF
Europe recently launched a campaign to better inform people about using
free software on their Android devices:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/android/android.html

Cheers,

Fabian