Re: [SOGo] Funambol 11

  • From: Mirko Stoffers < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Funambol 11
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:18:51 -0500

On 03/01/2012 10:11 AM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
On 12-03-01 08:49 AM, Mirko Stoffers wrote:
On 02/29/2012 03:22 PM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
The .APK are still available from the project page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/funambol/files/android/v10/

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the link. Is that different to what they offer as "FunV10"
on the market?

Thanks,

Mirko

Actually, this link should be better if you want to make sure you're
using the same source code that's published:
http://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdcategory=Office&fdid=com.funambol.androidsync&fdpage=1

When you install via the Android market you become dependent on the
publisher and have no control over what they publish (or stop
publishing), as this thread demonstrates.

In terms of functionality, I can't say if the application available on
the market has more or less. However, the .apk from F-Droid is a clean
build from 100% free, open source code. From the About page:
"Wherever possible, applications in the repository are built from
source, and that source code is checked for potential security or
privacy issues. This checking is far from exhaustive though, and there
are no guarantees."

F-Droid acts as an alternative marketplace for apps providing management
(install/update/remove), and where all apps are built from source. FSF
Europe recently launched a campaign to better inform people about using
free software on their Android devices:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/android/android.html

Cheers,

Fabian

Thanks again for the reply. Indeed, it looks like a good idea to change the market place (independent of this issue). However, I'm wondering what would happen when we install Funambol 10.0.6 from there. Will Funambol Inc. update the open source version later and remove the own-server-functionality this way? Will F-Droid afterwards push the new Funambol OSS version via auto-update and messing up everything again?

Currently, as far as I see, there is Funambol CSS 10, OneMediaHub CSS 11, and Funambol OSS 10. While both v10 apps would work properly the v11 app broke everything. So I'm somewhat concerned how Funambol OSS 11 will look like.