Re: Browser cache and upgrades (Was: Re: [SOGo] ANN: SOGo v1.3.15)

  • From: Jean Raby < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Browser cache and upgrades (Was: Re: [SOGo] ANN: SOGo v1.3.15)
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 13:36:00 -0400

On 12-05-16 1:23 PM, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
At Wed, 16 May 2012 01:32:51 -0500,
Aaron C Johnson wrote:
On 05/16/2012 01:29 AM, Relu Parfene wrote:
I updated to sogo 1.3.15 and all sope modules. I restarted sogo and
memcached. After these operations in the web interface all mails are
gone (including IMAP folders). I restarted the browser, I re-entered the
web interface. The situation was the same. I did refresh the page (F5)
and everything returned to normal. Awesome. I also noticed that the
annoying card icon following the mouse disappeared in contacts page
(after click on a contact in the shared address book). Absolutely awesome.

I had the same problem with all the emails disappearing in the web
interface. I just rebooted the server and cleared the browser cache and
all was well :)

I've seen those problems before with upgrades and in my opinion asking
all users to clear their browser cache after every upgrade should be
avoided.
Indeed...

As far as I understand the problem, the SOGo web resources are cached
by the browser and when a new version is installed the browser has no
way of knowing it has to load the web resources again. One way to fix
this is to put the version somewhere in the path, so that on upgrade
the web resources have a different path and the browser will fetch the
new files.

We implemented a workaround for this in the post install script so that the web resources' mtime are updated.

Can you look at the files under /usr/lib/GNUstep/SOGo/WebServerResources
and confirm that the timestamps match the installation time?

Also, if you can reproduce the problem, can you post the apache logs where apache returns 304 (Not Modified) responses? (which cause the client to use its cached version)

Thanks.

--
Jean Raby

:: +1.514.447.4918 (x120) :: www.inverse.ca