[SOGo] Security and set-and-forget

  • From: Sean Deschamps < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [SOGo] Security and set-and-forget
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:04:44 -0400

Hello everyone,

I like to manage categorized task lists with reminder alarms, start dates, priority levels, etc. and use Mozilla Thunderbird's Lightning extension for this.

I'd like to have web browser access and sync to smart phones and laptops (including task alarms, etc.) for up to 10 users, and SOGo seems like a great solution.

Unfortunately, I have only spent a total of 20 minutes on a Linux system (Ubuntu, in the past) but aim to install Debian soon.  I know I will be able to accomplish a full setup with PostgreSQL, Apache, WebDAV with LibreOffice, etc. all in a matter of time.

Before continuing to read documentation and wikis, I'd like to learn what I am getting into in terms of security and maintenance in general.

My current computer is built into a rack-mountable chassis as it stays with some music equipment.  I'd love to build an actual server to join my pile of gear but am wondering how safe it is.

Could anyone who has read my long intro inform me of any need to take security measures?  Or, are the servers and protocols used in this setup intrinsically secure?  I'd like to host public websites from the same server and want to be 100% protected from potential intruders, attacks, viruses, etc. (of course).

In addition, will I be able to use only stable releases of all components and set-and-forget it all?  I have heard that running systems like these require daily maintenance but aren't nightly builds optional for those aiming to help build the software and test new functionality?

Thanks very much to anyone who's willing to help, and sorry to others having to read my email, but I guess you won't get to this sentence!

Sean