Re: [SOGo] Limitations of Thunderbird address book

  • From: Till Dörges < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Christian Mack < >
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Limitations of Thunderbird address book
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:14:33 +0200

Hi Christian,

thanks for your answer.

On 22.06.2012 23:09, Christian Mack wrote:
> Am 14.06.2012 02:05, schrieb Till Dörges:

>> Unfortunately it appears that the TB address book is rather limited (2
>> e-mail addr.
>> and 4 phone numbers at most). What happens to contacts (coming from the
>> phone for
>> example) that exceed those limits?
[...]
> Thunderbird is limited at the moment.
>
> If you have address parts on other devices, which don't fit, they will
> not be synchronised yet.

So does it work like this, when I sync my device with SOGo? IOW, "phone A5"
still
exists on the device but not in SOGo?

[device] ---> [SOGo]
- entry A - entry A
- phone A1 - phone A1
- phone A2 - phone A2
- phone A3 - phone A3
- phone A4 - phone A4
- phone A5

And if I make any changes in SOGo to "entry A" and sync the other way, I'd
assume
that "phone A5" on the device is actually deleted?

> SOGo has the same limitations as Thunderbird by the way.

I understand that the current limitations are due to TB. But, FWIW, if a
commercial
version without these limitations existed, I'd seriously consider buying it.
:-)

> But there is development under way, to change this on the mozilla side.
> They are currently rewriting most of the address book in Thunderbird.
> One goal of this is to remove these restrictions.

Yes, I searched the web a bit for that. But my first impression is that
progress
there is rather slow.

> At the moment we all have to wait, sorry.

Understood. I guess I'll check how many of the above entries I actually have,
because
generally SOGo made a solid first impression. :-)

Thanks again.

Regards -- Till
--
Dipl.-Inform. Till Dörges

Tel. +49 - 40 - 244 2407 - 14
Fax +49 - 40 - 244 2407 - 24
PRESENSE Technologies GmbH Sachsenstr. 5, D-20097 HH
USt-IdNr.: DE263765024
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors AG Hamburg, HRB 107844
Till Dörges Jürgen Sander Axel Theilmann