Re: [SOGo] Help needed, making a real admin tool for SOGO, needs commands.

  • From: "Mark Madere" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Help needed, making a real admin tool for SOGO, needs commands.
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:39:19 -0600

Greetings,

I have looked through all the posts on this topic and I would like to add my
two cents (, as we say in the US). I think many people commenting on this
thread misunderstand SOGo and ZEG.

From the ZEG download page:

"The ZEG (Zero Effort Groupware) edition of SOGo is intended to provide a
complete out-of-the-box testing environment of SOGo, the Open Source
messaging and calendaring software."

From the SOGo home page:

"SOGo is fully supported and trusted groupware server with a focus on
scalability and open standards. ... SOGo is the missing component of your
infrastructure; it sits in the middle of your servers to offer your users an
uniform and complete interface to access their information."

So what does that mean? It means ZEG is a virtual appliance to help you
understand how SOGo works so you can setup your own servers. It means that
SOGo is not a mail server. It is not a directory server. It is not a
database server. It means that it has no users to manage.

If you are looking to use a testing environment like ZEG as a production
server I think you will be disappointed that it lacks the features required
for production. If you are looking to build your own production server, then
SOGo can be a great component along side other components. The beauty of
SOGo is that it can be configured to work with many systems. And because of
that there is no way that SOGo can manage users from every
directory/database/posix/etc. server. It is up to each administrator to
setup and manage their mail servers, users accounts, databases, etc.. the way
they want.

I hope this helps clarify what ZEG and SOGo are, and what they are not.

Mark

ps: If you are looking for turn-key solutions that includes SOGo, there are
companies that can help you with that. If you want to roll your own solution
and need help Inverse can provide you commercial support.