Re: [SOGo] Help needed, making a real admin tool for SOGO, needs commands.

  • From: Wayland Sothcott < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Help needed, making a real admin tool for SOGO, needs commands.
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:50:29 +0000

On 21/02/2013 18:39, Mark Madere wrote:
Greetings,

I have looked through all the posts on this topic and I would like to add my
two cents (, as we say in the US). I think many people commenting on this
thread misunderstand SOGo and ZEG.

From the ZEG download page:

"The ZEG (Zero Effort Groupware) edition of SOGo is intended to provide a complete
out-of-the-box testing environment of SOGo, the Open Source messaging and calendaring
software."

From the SOGo home page:

"SOGo is fully supported and trusted groupware server with a focus on scalability
and open standards. ... SOGo is the missing component of your infrastructure; it sits
in the middle of your servers to offer your users an uniform and complete interface to
access their information."

So what does that mean? It means ZEG is a virtual appliance to help you
understand how SOGo works so you can setup your own servers. It means that
SOGo is not a mail server. It is not a directory server. It is not a
database server. It means that it has no users to manage.

If you are looking to use a testing environment like ZEG as a production
server I think you will be disappointed that it lacks the features required
for production. If you are looking to build your own production server, then
SOGo can be a great component along side other components. The beauty of
SOGo is that it can be configured to work with many systems. And because of
that there is no way that SOGo can manage users from every
directory/database/posix/etc. server. It is up to each administrator to
setup and manage their mail servers, users accounts, databases, etc.. the way
they want.

I hope this helps clarify what ZEG and SOGo are, and what they are not.

Mark

ps: If you are looking for turn-key solutions that includes SOGo, there are
companies that can help you with that. If you want to roll your own solution
and need help Inverse can provide you commercial support.

I think you have explained what we all know very well and it is the problem we are trying to solve. We want to roll our own turn key solution.

I don't know where open source software comes from or why. However I think it's significant that the components are free but putting it together into something someone can use costs money.

I want to build servers for my customers and charge them money. However I don't mind freely helping people with what I have learned so they can build servers for their customers.

If someone is making money from charging us server builders money so we can build servers, they are not going to be very happy if we figure out how to help each other for free. Hence why ZEG is not a full turn key solution. If it was an ISO it would be closer, hence it's a VM.

I think I probably need to change my entire world view.

--

Mobile: 07925 431381
Office: 01787 388165