Re: [SOGo] Samba 4 source install with Openchange

  • From: Ron Scott-Adams < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Samba 4 source install with Openchange
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 05:21:18 -0400

Hi Dominique,

A few suggestions:

1) Try calling apt-get install with --arch-only. Per the apt-get man page:
"Only process architecture-dependent build-dependencies." This probably won't
work, as Samba4 is likely to still be considered dependent in this case.

2) You could try --force-yes: "Force yes; This is a dangerous option that
will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something
potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations.
Using force-yes can potentially destroy your system!" Mind the warning; but
if you think it through, this may work out fine.

3) The cleanest option, most likely, is to build a package as Christian
suggested. Depending on your time/willingness, you may consider one of these

a) There is a PPA (personal package archive) which claims to have a package
already for the stable Samba4 targeted to Ubuntu 12.04: deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kernevil/samba4/ubuntu precise main

Note the version string for the samba4 source provided is
4.0.1+dfsg1-1+zentyal2, so it may be worth asking someone who knows if this
constitutes the build you are looking for. (I wouldn't get hung up on the
+xyz strings, it's common to tack on things there to satisfy or clue in other
packages when really the sources themselves have little to do with those
strings.)

The latest Samba4 is 4.0.6 (May 21), so this does put you a bit behind the
game. Another PPA (https://launchpad.net/~wagungs/+archive/samba4) seems to
have 4.0.3 (4.0.3+dfsg1-0.1), and the provider may supply newer packages soon
enough (it never hurts to contact them and ask).

There may be other PPAs still; those were just some I found following links.

b) If you wish to build the latest package yourself, take a look at the
Debian New Maintainer's guide:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/. It's not so painful, and
there are other, quicker guides out there if you're looking to just jump into
it, but of course it's best to do things the "most right way" the first time.
:)

If you'd like further assistance building the package, both the Ubuntu
Developer's mailing list and the Debian Dev list are helpful.

c) I doubt you'd want to, but you could always just wait for an official
package to come through the repos. Despite the grumbling and moaning on
forums and lists out there, I doubt Canonical has turned a deaf ear to the
masses' cry for Samba4, but they are slow to build packages, as they tend to
be more conservative to ensure stability (hence the swell of PPAs out there).

However, I think it's more likely that any later build of Samba4 is going to
appear in 13.04 first, and then be backported. As you can see, 4.0.0 is the
most current they provide:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=samba4&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all&section=all

12.04 will be the current LTS until April 2014, so it seems very possible a
backport could trickle down in that time (for at least 4.04 or so).

Hopefully some of this info helps. Good luck!

On Jun 6, 2013, at 02:06 , Christian Mack
< >
wrote:

> Hello Dominique
>

> Am 2013-06-05 18:40, schrieb Dominique:
>>
>> I am trying to setup a new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server with samba4 and sogo.
>>
>> I tried to install samba4 from repositories - ubuntu and sogo with no
>> results. It just does not want to work.
>>
>> I finally installed samba4 from source. It allows to install the last
>> stable version of samba instead of an alpha or beta. That went well.
>>
>> I am now trying to resume installing sogo with openchange through
>> repositories but it want to reinstall samba4...
>>
>> Any idea if what I do is feasible - mixing sources and repository
>> install ? How do I tell openchange/sogo that I already have samba
>> installed ? Do I have to keep installing from source ?
>>
>> Any hint is welcome.
>>

> I assume you "installed" samba4 via make install.
> This does not work.
>
> You have to make a deb-package out of your self compiled samba4.
> Then install it via dpkg.
> With that Ubuntu knows, that you installed samba4 already.
>

> Kind regards,
> Christian Mack
>
> --
> Christian Mack
> Gruppe Informationsdienste
> Rechenzentrum Universität Konstanz
> --
>
> https://inverse.ca/sogo/lists

Ron Scott-Adams

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of
force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them." (Thomas Jefferson)