[SOGo] Installing SOGo on VPS with CPanel

  • From: "Ted" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [SOGo] Installing SOGo on VPS with CPanel
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:45:03 -0500 (EST)

I have a VPS account with Bluehost and am trying to install a SOGo server, but
have been having difficulties installing the appropriate packets. I tried
working with the Bluehost customer service and here's what they said (I'm
pretty inexperienced with linux and server-side issues in general - ideally
I'd really prefer to keep cpanel):

-----

When I ran "yum install sogo", it gave me a bunch of errors like this:
Error: Package: gnustep-examples-1.3.0-3.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
Requires: libgnustep-base.so.1.20()(64bit)
Removing: gnustep-base-1.20.1-2.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
libgnustep-base.so.1.20()(64bit)
Updated By: gnustep-base-1.23.0-1.x86_64 (sogo-rhel6)
Not found

"yum history info 95" shows me that you already installed gnustep*, so they
had to be removed first with: "yum history undo 95"
After that, the only error "yum install sogo" shows is this:
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: sogo-2.1.1b-1.centos6.x86_64 (sogo-rhel6)
Requires: httpd
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

Basically, it it isn't able to install the httpd (apache2) web server. This is
the problem. Since your VPS is running WHM/cPanel, the version of httpd that
is already installed is custom-built by WHM's EasyApache. The /etc/yum.conf
has an "exclude" line in it that excludes httpd* from the list of available
(for download) software. Although it is already installed an running on the
server, yum doesn't know that and is unable to proceed. We could run "yum
install sogo --skip-broken", but that will completely skip
sogo-2.1.1b-1.centos6.x86_64 (and several other dependent packages), so that's
no good.

To reiterate, the "httpd" package is excluded on cPanel systems because Apache
is installed/handled through EasyApache. We're left with only a few options:

1) If you completely backup your important files and settings, we can re-image
the VPS to a version of Linux (CentOS or Ubuntu) that doesn't include cPanel/
WHM. This would allow you to install a stock copy of httpd. This option also
means your server won't have any pre-configured services like email or ftp, or
other things you'd normally see within cPanel. It will have SSH access enabled
and networking configured so you can access it remotely. This option means
that the server is completely under your control; we really won't be able to
assist with software installations, which may warrant that you find a linux
administrator that can assist you.

2) You will need to consult with the SOGo support team for to determine if
there is a workaround or alternate method of installing the package.

3) You could attempt to remove the exclude=....... httpd* ....... option
from /etc/yum.conf, then install httpd anyway. I have absolutely no idea if
this will work or not. I'm not sure if yum will over-write any important
existing files and break dependencies, or setup a separate install of httpd.
There's a good chance that this could completely break cPanel and the
currently compiled version of httpd. This is the "void the warrant" option, so
I'd advise caution.

4) SOGo allows you co custom-compile their software from source. It may be
possible to compile it, then configure it to work with the existing EasyApache
version of httpd. Their installation guide
( http://www.sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGo%20Installation%20Guide.pdf ) says that
the SOGo configuration file (after it's installed) for Apache is normally
located in /etc/httpd/conf.d/SOGo.conf. If the software can be compiled, it
may be possible to integrate that config with the existing version of httpd.
This may be the most complex option.

  • [SOGo] Installing SOGo on VPS with CPanel, Ted, 02/22/2014