Re: [SOGo] Dovecot shared mailbox dictionary via SOGo

  • From: Ian McMichael < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Dovecot shared mailbox dictionary via SOGo
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:00:29 +0100

On 13/06/14 16:39, Alexander Pfeiffer wrote:
I have never used the sogo-tool, sorry. But i am looking forward to your experiences with it on this topic.

OK, I now have shared folders (mostly) working between mailboxes.  In the end I didn't go with Alex's suggestion of using SOGoEnableDomainBasedUID as although I have multiple domains on my system the idea is not to separate them.  Some users just prefer one domain suffix to another as their primary.

My solution was to update UIDFieldName = mail in sogo.conf and restart SOGo.  This caused the correct entries to be written to the Dovecot shared mailbox dictionary.  After this both SOGo and Thunderbird were able to see the shared mailboxes.  However, as expected, it broke each user's Calendar, Address book, etc.  To fix these, I ran the following for each user:

    sogo-tool rename-user username

I'd taken a backup of the MySQL database before starting but it was not needed.  Simply running this for each user and then logging them off and back on showed their calendars, etc. again.  It's worth noting that for people using Cal/CardDAV (and possibly other access methods) the URL to access the resources is also changed by this command.

During testing, I discovered that I could not create folders below a user's INBOX that had been shared with me, despite having the appropriate permission in the ACL.  To fix this, I needed to add mail_shared_explicit_inbox = yes to Dovecot's configuration and restart Dovecot.  This then shows the INBOX folder below the shared user and allows sub-folders to be created successfully.

The only part that doesn't work now is deleting shared sub-folders.  Again, it's not a permission thing.  Dovecot gets confused in trying to move the sub-folder to my personal Trash.  Because the entry is in a shared index for the original folder and needs to be in my personal index for the deleted version, it gets itself in a knot.  The work-around appears to be to turn off the functionality of Trash and delete mails/folders immediately.  I consider this too dangerous and so will be avoiding the recommendation!  Here's a Dovecot mailing list thread about the issue:

    http://dovecot.2317879.n4.nabble.com/Problem-with-INDEXes-and-deleting-shared-folders-td45844.html

As far as I can tell this is not fixed in any way in any version of Dovecot so far.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has it working?

Hope this all saves someone else some time...

--

Ian McMichael

E-Mail:
Phone: +44-(0)7703-192837