Re: [SOGo] list faster posts

  • From: Martin Simovic < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] list faster posts
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:08:01 +0100

On 26 Nov 2014, at 19:09, Charles Marcus < > wrote:

On 11/26/2014 12:14 PM, Martin Simovic < > wrote:
sogo-activesync is relatively new to SOGo and hence it is not as mature as sogo itself. At the moment it is slow and consumes a lot of RAM.

Well, thats not so good.

I was planning on trying one last time to get my boss to let me keep our
dovecot+SOGo server and upgrade everyone to Outlook 2013 on the desktop
to avoid an imminent migration to Office 365 - but that, of course,
would require to use ActiveSync.

Are you saying you would not recommend this in an office setting, say,
with about 70 users?

SOGo is a VM on VMWare, and I can give it lots of RAM if needed, but it
will need to be reasonably responsive for everyone.

I am saying that you test your setup well before going live with 70 users. Each ActiveSync client grabs a SOGo process on its own for the moment, while min. memory limit for single process should be at least 384 MB (default). 70 Outlook users mean ~ 30 MB RAM for your VM, and that is if every user uses a single client. In real world everyone has +1 device at least (Phone, tablet) which will use additional server recourses.

For your VM I would recommend 4 VCPUS and 32MB RAM at least if you want to service 70 Outlook instances.

As a side note (from my own experience) consider before upgrading that Outlook 2013 is terrible with IMAP. If you wanted to fall back from ActiveSync solution (for whatever reason) back to IMAP you’ll be most likely downgrading back to OL2010. Said that, test well before you upgrade all 70 clients … just my 50 cents.

Best Regards
Martin.