Re: [SOGo] GUI Revamp

  • From: Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] GUI Revamp
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 23:20:34 +0100

Hi Francis,

Is this GUI revamp available to be tested on the v3 branch ?

Best regards.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Michel Memeteau - Directeur.

Notre Boutique Ordinateurs GNU/Linux : http://shop.ekimia.fr
49 chemin de l'union 13720 La Bouilladisse - France.
Fixe : +33 (0) 972308334 Mobile : +33(0) 624808051
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

< >:
> Hi
>
> Since the release of version 1.0 five years ago, SOGo has gained a lot in
> maturity and tons of great features. However, we feel like the UI and UX of
> the Web interface have been neglected and deserve a good amount of love.
> That's why we have big plans for the next major release of SOGo. We want to
> leverage the stability and flexibility of the backend to completely rewrite
> the front-end with modern technologies that will allow the evolution of
> SOGo for another five years.
>
> The biggest challenge we want to meet is the accessibility of the Web
> interface from modern mobile devices. SOGo is already accessible to mobile
> devices through CalDAV, CardDAV and ActiveSync, but some users still want
> to access their data through a Web browser. That means removing
> double-clicks and contextual menus. It also means responsive design and
> simplified UI for small screens, all without penalizing desktop users.
>
> We've been analyzing and testing various options for the past few months
> and we decided to build the new Web interface with the following open
> source projects:
>
> - AngularJS (https://angularjs.org/): a powerful open-source web
> application framework. The project is already very popular and has a
> promising future.
> - Foundation (http://foundation.zurb.com/): an advanced front-end
> framework combining a flexible grid system and a great bare style to build
> a custom look and feel.
> - Ionic (http://ionicframework.com/): a new framework to build hybrid
> mobile apps with HTML5. While our initial goal is to offer a very
> functional Web interface to mobile devices, Ionic will ultimately help us
> to package a native app of SOGo for Android and iPhone devices.
>
> SOGo is a complex Web application and deserves a serious front-end
> architecture. That's why we'll adopt a MVW (model-view-whatever) structure
> on the front-end (AngularJS), use Sass to build the CSS (with Foundation),
> and use a specific framework for the mobile version of the Web interface
> (Ionic).
>
> If you are a UX expert, a UI designer or a JavaScript developer and you
> want to contribute to the revamp of the Web front-end of SOGo, please
> contact us. Share your ideas, sketches and inspirations on what would be
> the very best open source groupware for you.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Francis
>
> --
>
> :: http://www.inverse.ca
> Inverse :: Leaders behind SOGo (http://sogo.nu) and PacketFence
> (http://packetfence.org)
>
> --
>
> https://inverse.ca/sogo/lists

  • Re: [SOGo] GUI Revamp, Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA, 11/30/2014