Re: [SOGo] Failed logins with DCERPC calls in 'smb.conf'

  • From: Rowland Penny < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Failed logins with DCERPC calls in 'smb.conf'
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 15:46:14 +0100

On 16/08/15 15:15, Steve Ankeny wrote:
On 08/15/2015 05:24 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

two questions --

(1) should nmbd be running?

Definitely no, there is an 'nbt' component built into the 'samba' process.

having difficulty removing it from startup

'initctl list' BEFORE removal --

adam@sogo:~$ sudo initctl list | egrep 'samba|smb|nmb|winbind'
nmbd start/running
winbind stop/waiting
smbd stop/waiting
reload-smbd stop/waiting
samba-ad-dc start/running, process 854
adam@sogo:~$

stop and remove 'nmbd' --

adam@sogo:~$ sudo service nmbd stop
nmbd stop/waiting
adam@sogo:~$ sudo update-rc.d -f nmbd remove
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/nmbd ...
adam@sogo:~$

'initctl list' AFTER removal --

adam@sogo:~$ sudo initctl list | egrep 'samba|smb|nmb|winbind'
nmbd start/running
winbind stop/waiting
smbd stop/waiting
reload-smbd stop/waiting
samba-ad-dc start/running, process 854
adam@sogo:~$

How do I remove 'nmbd' from startup?

I tried ' sudo initctl --system stop nmbd' with the same results.

thx

Are you sure nmbd is starting at boot ?
Try 'ps ax | grep 'nmb' after the machine has just rebooted, if it returns anything, then it is starting at boot and you need to stop it.
You seem to be mixing up 'is it running' with 'can I start it' commands, it may help you to look here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/19320/how-to-enable-or-disable-services

Rowland