Re: [SOGo] Feature Request: Calendar attachments (EAS v16 capability)

  • From: "Christian Mack" ( ) < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] Feature Request: Calendar attachments (EAS v16 capability)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 17:00:23 +0100
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.2.0 mail.inverse.ca 729BB11E330C

Hello

Some users would use a bomb to clear out weed.
That is no reason to provide them with one ;-)

What you really want is a way to provide some webDAV based storage,
where attachment files would automatically be stored, when added via
SOGo events.
And it would have to use the calendar owners credentials for storage,
and set the privileges for the people with read/write permissions
automatically.
It would have to be configurable by the admin (can be disabled, set to
single storage or set to storage based on LDAP attribute).

With that you would only have a link in the event and the user thinks,
he has it added to the event.

BTW:
This could also be used for emails.
But most mail clients would not support sending that way.

You can always open a feature request at http://www.sogo.nu/bugs or add
yourself to an existing one.

Am 27.02.2017 um 08:46 schrieb Lars Eriksson
( ):
> Hello.
>
> That is true, I personally do not want that. But im not the only user
> here, and a lot of my colleagues have earlier worked in
> Exchange-enviroments and they do in fact have used and use the option to
> have attachments to their calendar events.
>
> Google Calendar also support attatched files to calendar events.
> People do in fact use this, believe it or not.
>
> Vänliga hälsningar / Best regards
>
> *Lars Eriksson*
>
> Den 2017-02-24 kl. 15:25, skrev Christian Mack
> ( ):
>> Am 17.02.2017 um 08:47 schrieb Lars Eriksson
>> ( ):
>>> A function commonly used in the MS office/Exchange-world is attaching
>>> files to a calendar event.
>>> This capability was added in Microsofts version 16 of Exchange
>>> ActiveSync, and it would be very good to have in SOGo as well.
>>>
>>> Since attaching files is not supported by Thunderbird, an early step
>>> could be to support only WebbUI and Outlook.
>>>

>>> Quoted from Microsoft dev blog:
>>> "Updated EAS, which we will call version 16, contains three new major
>>> capabilities[...]
>>> [...]
>>> 2. Calendar attachments. Previously calendar items synced with EAS could
>>> not include any attachments such as agendas, decks or spreadsheets. In
>>> version 16 that is now possible."
>>
>> You do not want that.
>> Because you always have to upload those to all clients using that
>> calendar on every change of that event or the document.
>> And old documents will stay till the corresponding event is deleted.
>> Think of mobiles!
>> They do neither have the bandwidth nor the space.
>>
>> The better approach is to store the documents in a central place
>> (NextCloud, Alfresco etc.) and add a link to the event.
>>
>> This was requested before, see
>> https://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=1758
>>

>> Kind regards,
>> Christian Mack