Re: [SOGo] What kind of license does it require if we use SOGo Exchange ActiveSync( EAS)

  • From: Andreas Vögele ( ) < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [SOGo] What kind of license does it require if we use SOGo Exchange ActiveSync( EAS)
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 07:45:23 +0200
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.2.0 mail.inverse.ca 5DBD11DE5183

I am not sure whether https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_ActiveSync#Licensing applies but that article mentions patents, which are potentially only valid in some countries.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent for more information. According to this article "computer-implemented inventions that only solve a business problem using a computer, rather than a technical problem, are considered unpatentable [...]" in the European Union. Of course, you might have a hard time arguing with Microsoft.

I don't use Active Sync. A friend did some testing and came to the conclusion that Active Sync drains phone batteries faster than CalDAV and CardDAV. He also said that some Active Sync implementations don't search the global address list for contacts and resources when you create events.

On 08.05.19 08:59, luckydog xf
( )
wrote:
Hi,

   We're gonna use SOGo as EAS and I read SOGo doc where it writes:

-------
In order to use SOGo ActiveSync support code in production environments, you need to get a proper usage license from Microsoft. [...]

   So does anyone who uses EAS know how to handle this situation? Which license and price mode does it apply to? [...]